One trend that has taken the home decor world by storm is decor transfers for furniture. They add a lot of personality to furniture pieces! You can use several methods, but this how-to guide focuses on using the most detailed and versatile stencils in the market: ReDesign with Prima.
First, Let’s Talk About Decor Transfers for Furniture
What is a decor transfer? A decor transfer is a decal or sticker applied to furniture or other objects to change their look. They come in all shapes, sizes, and colors and are perfect for adding personality and flair to any space.
In particular, we love the furniture decor transfers from ReDesign with Prima. We’re sure you’ll love them too! Use Redesign Decor Transfers to accent furniture, walls, doors, etc.
Why Use Decor Transfers for Furniture?
There are a few reasons why you might want to use decor transfer to change the look of your furniture. Maybe you have old furniture that you no longer want but don’t have the space or money to get rid of it. Or perhaps you just moved into a new house and didn’t have time to redo all your furniture.
Either way, decor transfers are great for some reasons:
- To change the color of a piece of furniture: Some decor transfers come with multiple colors, so you can change the color of the stencil without having to repaint the entire part.
- To add a new design: ReDesign by Prima’s decor transfers come with easy-to-follow instructions. The decals allow you to create your own designs and potentially create a brand new piece of furniture.
- To change the look of an existing piece: Decor transfers can also be used to change the face of an existing piece of furniture without having to repaint it.
With decor transfer, you can easily change the look and feel of your furniture without buying new pieces.
Now, Let’s Get Started!
Here’s our step-by-step guide to applying your Redesign by Prima decals:
- Decide what you want to change about your furniture: Choose a decor transfer that comes in multiple colors if you’re going to change the color. If you want to add a new design, choose a transfer with easy-to-follow instructions.
- Prep your furniture: Make sure your piece is clean and free of any oils or residues that might interfere with the adhesive. If your piece has any scratches or blemishes, cover them up before applying the decal or transfer. If you want to work on a painted piece, ensure the furniture is painted and prepped thoroughly first.
- Apply the decal or transfer: Place the decal or transfer on the furniture where you want it to go. Use an applicator blade or a wooden tool (which normally comes with the decals) to smooth out the decor transfers.
- Wait for the adhesive to dry: Allow the glue to dry before moving or touching the furniture.
- Remove the acetate protector sheet and repeat steps 1-5 if necessary.
- Seal your decor transfers: Use a top coat to set your decals into place. Your furniture piece can be distressed and/or waxed as well. We recommend using a lint-free rag to apply the wax, then buffing the decals away for an extra smooth finish.
Decor Transfers for Furniture: FAQ
Do I Need to Paint Before Using Decor Transfers?
Paint is not always necessary before using decor transfers. If the surface is clean and dry, most often, all that is needed is a light application of the adhesive to the surface. However, if any areas may be oily or dusty, a preliminary prep and coat of paint may be necessary to avoid staining or damaging the furniture.
For a stylish finish, you can apply decor transfers over wooden furniture. However, if you’re planning to paint the furniture, you’ll have to paint the piece first and then place the decals afterward.
A friendly reminder: Before you apply decor transfers, make sure your piece is clean and free of dust and debris.
When Can I Apply Decor Transfers on My Furniture After Painting?
When applying decor transfers to furniture after painting, it is best to wait until the paint is completely dry. 48 hours should be a solid amount of time. This will help ensure that the transfers adhere correctly to the surface and do not leave behind any residue.
Additionally, use good quality transfer decals so that the paint does not lift or peel off during use. Make sure to follow the instructions included with the product for the best results.
Do I Have to Seal My Furniture Piece Before Applying Decor Transfers?
Sealing furniture before applying decor transfers is not necessary. Still, it can help protect the finish and keep the piece looking new for longer. We recommend using the decals first and then the topcoat. The transfer won’t stick to waxy or oily furniture.
Why Won’t My Decor Transfers Stick?
The adhesive used in the transfer may not be strong enough. If the glue does not have a good bond, it will likely not hold the pieces of furniture together. Additionally, if the pieces of furniture are wet or humid, the adhesive will become less sticky and may not adhere to the surface at all.
Getting the transfer to stick takes some elbow grease and pressure. Just lift the top sheet and see if it sticks. Lie it down again and rub it again if it hasn’t transferred completely.
Get Inspired And Start Using Decor Transfers for Furniture!
Decor transfers are a great way to protect your furniture and update its look without having to paint or buy new pieces. They are easy to use and can be applied in minutes. Grab a few ReDesign with Prima furniture decals to get started, and let’s get creative!